Thursday, March 12, 2009

Fa Sho

How many things can you name in life that are certain? Not many. The only things I can think of off the top of my big head are aging and death. Not really topics that I nor anyone I know would like to deal with on the regular. Most of us dread getting older and we try to avoid discussions that relate to dying or death. But we all know both will happen, fa sho. For all my non southerners, this term "fa sho", that I so eloquently use and one that I over extend more times than not is just urban southern dialect for "for sure". Of course my generation has put a twist on the term and we have slang'd it out. I've come to find that sometimes my "fa sho's" do actually mean "for sure" in a structured sentence. But more times they are just per se' the tag line on the end of my sentences specifically to reiterate the certainty or to solidify my statements, actions, or feelings. I've also come to find that my "fa sho's" mean the word "yes" if it is in response to a question. If someone is asking me a question, and the answer is yes, I may respond with, "fa sho". If I am making a statement and I want to put an emphasis on the importance of it, the last thing I might say is, "fa sho". Like a handshake at the end of a business deal, a period at the end of a sentence, or the click of a lock after a door is closed. A "no questions asked" type of ending, a literal "it's done". The phrase itself is ironic because of where I'm going. Now since we can't think of too many other certainties, we'll go with death for $500. But don't fret on that topic because there is a twist. There is a certain death that I can be happy about. Jesus' death. This is a death that I can talk about without feeling sad. Did you know that what Jesus represented on that cross had a tag line? A "fa sho" if you will, and without a doubt the best one yet. His sentence and statement was what He did for us, His "fa sho" was what He said after it was all done. Therefore our questions are answered and promises fulfilled with this responded "fa sho" because He is the resounding "Yes". The "fa sho" that I'm talkin about and the best "fa sho" I've ever heard of were Jesus' last words on the cross, when He said, "It is finished". Can someone call Stevie Wonder about THESE three words? When Jesus uttered these words, we can only imagine the atmosphere. Some bibles say the earth shook or quaked. But He has placed in our hearts the spirit of what those words truly mean. Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks, so hear me when I say...Everything you deal with has already been dealt with. Anything you have to face uncomfortably, has already been handled. Things you've done in the past are over, gone, and forgotten. Things you haven't seen or heard yet, hey now, He got that too! Turn it all over to Him now because He said "It is finished", and since those were His last words, where I'm from that means, "fa sho". He solidified His purpose so we could be free, fa sho. It is certain that Jesus has already fought the battle, fa sho. We are winners in Christ, fa sho. He will never leave nor forsake you, fa sho. In Him you are forgiven, fa sho. He is on your side, fa sho. Who cares if things aint right, He will fix them, fa sho. The devil has been defeated, fa sho! You have been given the keys to the Kingdom, fa sho. He loves you, fa sho. He is the same yesterday, today, and forever, fa sho. Jesus, fa sho. So as I continue to wear out my southern slang, after all the times I've used that term to close a deal, confirm or make certain of what I'm saying, or just to say it cause I am reppin that wonderful Dirty South, there is nothing more certain than what Christ did for us, what He is to us, and who we are in Him. He, His actions, love, and purpose is the ultimate, realest, most personified "fa sho" I know.



Copyright ©2009 Crystal Dion Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment